Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sleep? Remind me again what that is?

It’s true that sleep will never be the same once you have kids but nothing is quite like those first few weeks. I remember when Jackson was born. He was a month early and so he had a little trouble nursing. The doctors and nurses insisted that I wake him every two hours to eat. Fun. The poor little guy was so tired that it took a half an hour just to get him to wake up. Then I would nurse him another half hour, pump a little to keep my milk up, clean up my equipment then go back to bed for well, about another half hour until it was time to start over. I literally began to loose my mind. I remember waking up wondering where I was, if the baby was in bed with me, when was the last time I fed him?? My eyes burned, my legs ached. I never knew I could survive on such little sleep. I swore I would punch the next person who told me their baby slept through the night at 2 weeks. I secretly smiled when I heard someone else’s baby was up all night. It’s true misery loves company. The crazy thing is when they finally do sleep through the night, I sometimes miss rocking with them in the dark room and listening to them breathe as they sleep on my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment